This was shot for the Street Photography Now challenge 32: "Follow lines of movement for a graphic journey". I'm not sure if this counts as street photography. It is composed of two images, first a 5" shot (using near-infrared filter as an ND filter), and second was a normal daytime exposure.
I set the camera up for a long exposure of the building looking south from our apartment. I forgot the tripod so I balanced camera on a pillow against the railing. I still had to hold the strap because there are gusts of wind - decision vindicated as one gust took my camera over the edge.
This is a 4 minute exposure using the the infrared and polarising filter stacked together (for darkest sky). I have been experimenting with a hack for my camera (400plus - http://code.google.com/p/400plus/). It has a few features like extended exposure bracketing (9 shot), with any length of exposure (instead of the 30 second maximum). It didn't work as I expected it to, but it did go straight to the maximum exposure that I set. I'm sure I just need to read the manual again.
This was shot using the the infrared and polarising filter stacked together (for darkest sky). This was a 4 minute exposure. There was a surf championship on at Kirra, though the surfers didn't sit still long enough to feature. I have been experimenting with a hack for my camera (400plus). It has a few features like extended exposure bracketing (9 shot), with any length of exposure (instead of the 30 second maximum). It didn't work as I expected it to, but it did go straight to the maximum exposure that I set. I'm sure I just need to read the manual again. I was actually trying to do an HDR as well but it was quite windy and the shots didn't line up (it works okay without it anyway).
This round of veggie growing has not been as successful as previous years. We are host and victim of various pests and demons. The Cape Gooseberry is susceptible to the flea beetle. These things breed quickly and can eat a whole plant in a week. After that, they go to ground and will chow down on any new tree that is planted. I normally cut off the leaves that have grubs, and put them in a glass jar to die off in the sun. I saved this one long enough for an IR + macro shot on mini tripod. I don't think it worked perfectly, possibly because of the focus point difference between normal light and IR light. I started off at f/7.1, then f/11, then settled on f/13. The dark spots are the parts of the leaf that the larvae have eaten.
This is similar to the last photo, but much closer to the action. Because of the spray from the water hitting the ground, many of the photos did not work out. I also had to keep moving the camera to dry it out, which mucked up the composition (can't compose easily with an R72 filter on the front - it's point and guess).
At the Roma Street Parklands, there are a number of waterfalls around the area. I set this up with the mini tripod and R72 filter.
I was posting some Christmas parcels at the GPO and St Stephen's is nearby. I had been waiting for a clear day and this on the list to shoot with a polariser for deep blue skies. Now with the R72 filter, I shot it for nice black skies instead.
There is a park at the top of Jacob's Ladder that has sculptures all through it. This is a combination of two ideas from the ideas factory and I think it worked well with the R72 filter.
I saw this scene from the train [yesterday], and thought I could make something of it. I rode my bike there and stacked all of my filters together (NIR R72, polariser and fisheye macro) and set the smallest aperture possible (f/29) to get the longest NIR exposure that I could. The bike being in the way started out as laziness, later became a feature. My cable release is stuffed - I spend more time jiggling it than exposing photos. I paid way too much for it ($10), many years ago. I'm hoping I can find a good $2 replacement from HK/CN.
I have found my water scene, though it is still the Brisbane River, just 35km downstream at Ipswich. I have also wanted to try stacking the infrared filter with the fisheye filter. It seems to have worked. After processing, this photo looks to me like an old slide where the red dye has faded away. I wasn't planning to do light trails, but it worked out nicely that way.
This is a lovely huge flame tree outside the train station at Ebbw Vale. Of course, in infrared, you can't see the firey colours. I think I'm going to put the R72 filter away for a while and instead spend some time reading up on what looks good. I'm having some trouble stepping away from the colourful world.
I went in search of water, and found water. It was very windy so the water fountains were blowing everywhere. I set a custom white-balance using some foliage. I forgot my cable release so maximum exposure was 30 seconds at ISO 1600, though I would have preferred a lower ISO and longer exposure. I'm still waiting for the clouds to go away so I can take a shot with black (blue) sky.
After reading up some more on how to achieve the false colour effect, the consensus is to take a shot of some foliage, then set the custom white balance using that shot, then continue on.
My R72 filter (infrared only) has been delivered from HK and I've been keen to try it out. I'm still learning what works and what doesn't, and I've also been playing it safe with a really small aperture (to allow for the different focus point of IR light).