Location:Brisbane Central Station and Ebbw Vale Station
General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:This is in response to a get-pushed challenge from @frida: To take an image that represents 'lighter than air'. This was especially tough. I had this idea in my head but the execution turned out quite different.
The coffin is a roving prop that Queensland Rail take to different stations as part of a campaign to stop people crossing the tracks when a train is coming. It is pictured here at Central station - although there are no accessible tracks at Central, a lot of people would be coming from a station where there is a track crossing somewhere. The clouds are from Ebbw Vale station. The idea I had in my head was a cliched image of a grave in the clouds.
I started by just loading up both images in Photoshop Elements and seeing how they mixed. The grave scene was much too strong for the cloud scene so I went to soften and lower the contrast in the grave scene. Lightroom 4: Grave scene -
- Clarity -80, saturation -75
- Curves: highlights -100, darks +100, shadows +100
- Layer 1: Cloud scene, opacity 100%
- Layer 2: Grave scene, multiply, opacity 100%
- Layer 3: Levels - 0, 1.52, 200 (lightened the overall picture)
- Shadows +10, white clipping +10, black clippoing -65 (darkened the tree)
- Clarity -20, vibrance -30, saturation +100 (increased colour blush in the clouds without increasing anything else)