General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:Went out for a second try at shooting galahs. There were plenty about though the shots of the group didn't look great (it would have been nice to get a fluke of them all lined up, but that didn't happen).
I was actually after a crow shot, as on Thursday there was a cute potential photo of a crow drinking the last drops of water from the bird bath. I filled the bird bath with a dribble of water, but the crows were nowhere to be seen today.
The camera & lens:Camera: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Exposure: 1/640" @ f/71/10, ISO 400
Lightroom - The dappled light was a good selling point for the shot, and made it a bit more interesting, but that presented its own challenges for processing. The curves adjustment was minor - lights +15, darks +10, shadows -10. Recovery +100 to bring the top of the bird's head back under control. I set clarity +100, something I've found myself doing a lot recently. One thing I don't do often is bump up the saturation, but I did for this (+25). I also added a spot correction to the eye to brighten it a little. Finally, shooting at 300mm doesn't result in great sharpness. I was able to recover a bit using sharpness +65, which brings an icky effect (it reminds me of dithering), but using noise reduction +45, that effect was reduced.