Location:Alexandra Headland, Sunshine Coast
General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:We took Evelyn down to the beach at sunset for some sand playing and portraits. Lui built up a big line of sandcastles and Evelyn took particular joy in demolishing every one of them.
I've been trying to get a photo of this decisive moment for a while now! It takes luck and time.
The camera & lens:Camera: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Lens: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX-DC @ 30mm
Exposure: 1/800" @ f/2.8, ISO 400
- Curves: Lights +40, darks -30, shadows -50
- Fill light +15, Blacks +15, Clarity +50. Then Recovery +15 to reduce some hot spots on the skin
- Increase temp by 500K, to warm the shot (Auto white balance was essentially accurate, as the sun had gone down, but we wanted a warmer picture)
- There was some sand flying up past her arm, which while cute, was distracting if looked at for too long, so I cloned it out
- I didn't use any noise reduction, because sand is meant to be noisy.
The wash-up:I'm happy with this.
What would you do?
You are welcome to have a go at editing this photo yourself. When editing in browser, maximum size is 1600x1200px and edits can be saved as a comment if you want to share your work. Go crazy!