Location:Brisbane City, Adelaide Street
General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:The subject of this photo is a fig root that is a million feet tall. It comes down from a fig planted on the cathedral grounds up above.
The camera & lens:Camera: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Exposure: 1/80" @ f/8/1, ISO 800
- Auto apply a B&W preset I have called "PSKiss-FilmStyleBW-01". It auto applies curves (lights +60, darks -12, shadows -12), brightness +45, contrast +45, clarity +50 and increases the colour mixes in all channels, but mainly green and aqua.
- Slight distortion correction (Lightroom lens correction) and crop of some of the edges
- Curves: Lights +100, Shadows -35
- Noise reduction: Luminance +30
- Other brightness: Recovery +90, Fill lights +15, blacks +20
- Adjusted the temperature +600K and tint +60 - changing the mix of colours that go in to the black and white image
- Resulting image was very busy, and the emphasis was lost - so added an adjustment layer to lower the contrast on the other roots, and leave the big one
The wash-up:After writing this up, I actually went back and did some more adjusting to fix up the contrast.
What would you do?
You are welcome to have a go at editing this photo yourself. When editing in browser, maximum size is 1600x1200px and edits can be saved as a comment if you want to share your work. Go crazy!