General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:Evelyn and I were visiting Nana and Grandpa, and I knew I wanted to get a shot of Evelyn with Pallas. They spent the day uneasy around eachother - Pallas barking loudly at everything, and Evelyn with the squeals and grabby hands. Once Evelyn (finally) went down for her afternoon nap, Pallas felt brave enough to come over for a sniff.
(Edited 2011-11-08 16:31: I posted this to Instagram and liked the effect on there better than the original one.)
The camera & lens:Camera: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Lens: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX-DC @ 30mm
Exposure: 1/125" @ f/2.5, ISO 1600
- Auto apply a B&W preset I have called "PSKiss-FilmStyleBW-01". It auto applies curves (lights +60, darks -12, shadows -12), brightness +45, contrast +45, clarity +50 and increases the colour mixes in all channels, but mainly green and aqua.
- Recovery +100, fill light +30, blacks +15.
- Curves: lights +70, darks +5, shadows -10
- Noise reduction +65 - did devine things to Pallas' curls
- Split toning - both shadows and highlights set to hue 33 and saturation 10. This gave a slight red tone to the picture. (Is it still split toning if both are set to the same colour and strength?)
- Crop down about half, to make it more about the two faces and less about the scene.
- Post-crop vignette - highlight priority -25
- Graduated filter: exposure -0.30, applied to Evelyn's head. I wanted to increase the contrast in her hair. (Could also have done this with an adjustment brush/spot adjustment.)
- Apply filter (which one was it?)
The wash-up:I missed some ops because I had put the camera down a few times, but I think this one is precious enough to make up for it.
What would you do?
You are welcome to have a go at editing this photo yourself. When editing in browser, maximum size is 1600x1200px and edits can be saved as a comment if you want to share your work. Go crazy!