Location:Surfers Paradise, Gold Coast
General location: Australia, South-East Queensland
The Setup:We stayed in an apartment at the Gold Coast for the weekend. It wasn't much of a holiday: Evelyn was sick and Lui was studying all weekend. I also forgot my tripod, so for this shot I went hand-held.
The camera & lens:Camera: Canon EOS 400D DIGITAL
Lens: Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 USM IS @ 15mm
Exposure: 1/320" @ f/11, ISO 400 (M)
- Import all photos using default settings
- I spent a lot of time dragging the picture around in the Move tab to try to correct the horizon distortion, with no success. I left it for a month. When I came back, Google helpfully told me that there is a straighten button which does the job for you.
- Export without cropping.
- Crop out the borders
- Presence: Exposure +0.35, highlights -40, shadows +90, whites +40, blacks -75.
- Curves: lights +15, darks +15
- Noise reduction: luminance +25
- Graduated filter, starting middle towards the right - highlights -100, saturation -15, to even out the sky tone.
The wash-up:There are some small stitching errors, probably because of going hand held, but otherwise this is what I wanted! I'm really not sure if the polariser was the right thing for this photo - the 'hole' is very obvious.
What would you do?
You are welcome to have a go at editing this photo yourself. When editing in browser, maximum size is 1600x1200px and edits can be saved as a comment if you want to share your work. Go crazy!